So, I know we weren't talking for a while. In that time I did all kinds of things. I quit my job. I started Yoga. I have going through old letters. I came upon this one from my brother. Richard Brautigan was one of my very favorite authors when I was 16 years old. My brother lived in San Francisco and would write me letters. My brother is 8 years older than me and was out of the house when I was still young. He worked at Doubleday Book Store at the time. Why am I sharing this? Who knows.
So as I think I mentioned I am cooking lighter these days. Actually I am really liking it. This little doozey was really good. Now here is the thing. I didn't lighten this up. It was the original recipe. I got it from Skinny Kitchen. I will say that I don't like eating low fat anything but this is good. I put in ( ) how to make it with "normal" ingredients. Someone try it out and let me know if the fat version is any good.
Skinny Mexican Style Chicken and Cornbread Casserole
1¼ cups onions, chopped
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light (butter)
1 (14.5 oz) can cream-style corn
1¼ cups chicken breast
1 tablespoon fat-free milk (milk)
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy’s Corn Muffin Mix, see shopping tips
½ cup salsa
½ cup fat-free sour cream (cream or full fat sour cream)
¼ cup Light Mexican Blend Cheese or light cheddar cheese (Sharp Cheddar)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9” baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Saute onions in "butter"
3. In a large bowl, mix together the cream-style corn, chicken, egg, milk, chili powder and cumin. Blend well. Stir in cornbread mix. Spread cornbread batter into prepared pan.
4. Spoon cooked onions evenly over the top.
5. Spread the salsa evenly over the onions. It won’t completely cover the onions. Using the same rubber spatula, carefully spread sour cream evenly over the salsa. It also won’t completely cover the entire casserole.
6. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the sour cream.
7. Bake for 45 minutes so the entire casserole will be cooked through. It will look very golden brown.
8. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 6 slices. This casserole may be made ahead of time, refrigerated and reheated. It also freezes great.
Makes 6 servings (each serving, 1 slice)
for 1 slice
323 calories, 8g fat, 3g sat. fat, 56mg chol, 15g protein, 44g carbs, 4g fiber, 824mg sodium, 14g sugar
So there ya go. Don't know what the full fat version would be. I bet it would be tastier.